Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Peacemaking Vacuumer

 
Marcus. My little brother. We have been best friends since I can remember. Our whole lives you could say. It has been so great to see him grow (literally as well as emotionally and spiritually)  When I was a senior in high school he was shorter then me (5'4") by the time he graduated high school he had grown to be 6 feet tall, and the tallest person in our family. I don't have any idea where that came from.  

Marcus is leaving on a mission on Dec 8, which is Wednesday. I cannot believe he's going to be gone in only a few short days. Marcus is one of the most patient people I know. He is always the peacemaker. One time at a family dinner we were all arguing (Romriell style, everyone yelling at the same time and talking over each other.) So as the argument progressed we were suddenly startled by the sound of the vacuum down in our family room... what? Marcus was down in the family room vacuuming. If you know Marcus you know that he is not one to just break out and start cleaning on a whim. I think he was just trying to drown out all of the ridiculousness that was our dinner conversation.  Needless to say we all just started laughing and forgot what we were even fighting about in the first place.

When we were little Marcus and I would play with our beanie babies (a family obsession) It's funny because he always played along and loved it (or so I thought). He told me the other night that he just went along with whatever I said. Bossy old me told him what to play and how to play it, and sweet Marcus just went along with it to make me happy. As I think about all of our years growing up together I can honestly say Marcus was my first best friend. Kind and selfless, he always put my feelings first. A true friend. As he has prepared to leave on his mission to Germany I have watched him. He has matured more then I could have ever imagined. I have seen a light in him that I haven't seen in many people.  As I kept putting off saying goodbye, I couldn't help but get all emotional. As much as I know how important his mission is, I'm selfish and don't want him to be gone. There are so many things that I wish I could say to express how much I love him. Goodluck Marcus, I'll miss you more then I think you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment