Sunday, March 27, 2011

ST LOUIS

I have to tell of my adventures in ST LOUIS! I realize for those of you who read (if any??) may not want all the details. I have narrowed it down as best I can but please feel free to skip all, half, or every other sentence if you will. Be creative if you must.

My professor Kathy took 5 of us printmakers to a print conference in St Louis. Southern Graphics Council International is the official name. It was so much fun! We had a great time going to Art shows, print demonstrations and discussions and of course having a great time laughing and goofing around. We can't always be completely serious about everything in life.



SEGMENT ONE: Flying

We flew out on Wednesday morning, had a LONG layover in Denver (3 hours!). In which zero people were searched, one pair of scissors was overlooked, clothing was removed, 8 sodas were guzzled and some airport food was consumed.  In a nut shell pretty average I'd say. Then we got on a new plane to embark on our journey and they give us these dinky drinks.
For real? Can't they manage to give you at least a whole beverage? What good is a tasty beverage when it can only but tempt the taste buds? They fill the cup mostly with ice and give me an 8th of a 12 oz can. pretty minimalist if you ask me. Alas, we made up for this travesty later. Many of us have cola consumption obsessions. 

 SEGMENT TWO: Shmancy Accommodations
When we arrived we took a van crusade to our hotel. We stayed at a pretty nice hotel. Shmancy place. You had to use your room key to use the elevator. As artsy people had some issues getting it to work. We did a lot of walking up and down stairs, mostly out of impatience, but also because they were just to dang confusing. Many of the events for the conference were held on campus at Washington University. It was beautiful! A really cool old school campus.


SEGMENT THREE: Some Sights Seen

Check out this amazing tree. This picture kind of blows, but it was the best I could do on the run. It was growing in and out of the ground. I have never seen anything like it. I love this kind of stuff.

They have these really great streets that are so great for walking around. We had fun going into old bookstores and antique shops in between the art shows. Here's Vince Lisie and Alisa strolling.

One of our professor's grad school professors had a show while the conference was going. Her name is Karen Kunc. She does some beautiful prints. Check them out here.

This is a picture of Karen and some of her grad students (Kathy, second from left, my professor went to school with all of these cute printmakers).  I was trying to hurry and snap a picture and my camera (borrowed from my father, because I am a space and have lost mine for the millionth time) was on this weird setting that made everything black and white but Karen's shirt... I think it was quite an exciting accident.

SEGMENT FOUR: The Show

Near the end of the trip we did a portfolio show. We displayed some of our work for people to come and see. It was a nerve-racking experience but I got some great feedback from people who loved my work. Here I am looking like a nerd. It was fun to hear what other people thought about my work and to see what kinds of things other people create. There were some good and some terrible. The girl next to me was incredibly nice but had the weirdest work. I wont go into the strange details of standing next to her listening to her explain her work... but. Yes. I love the people you come across at these sorts of things. Everyone did great presenting and by the time we were done there we were all ready to get out of there!


SEGMENT FIVE: Some More Wanderings

We walked around the town one last time and had a grand ol time together. We laughed so much. I love being around my print friends. They have become such a great part of my life. Here are three of us girls being weirdos per usual. We spend a lot of time together in the print studio so we've become rather close. I love them.This photo is a result of a very long day... This is one of our best I believe.


All of the streets in our area were super fancy. There was even a gated community...
It was crazy how huge and beautiful the houses all were out there. They are all incredibly unique and different, unlike this Utah business where we all build the same exact houses. It was fun to see all of the different styles.  Also another tree I found. Utah has so few trees comparatively. So I was all up on taking photos of them. Nerdy I know.

SEGMENT SIX: I am A Lit-tle Gerl

 So we stopped by a grocery store to pick up some snacks for the plane. As I was checking out, the cute little black, southern woman working the check out says "Ahre you grown?" I didn't quite understand her so I asked her to repeat. "Ah you groown? you look like a li-tle gerl" (try to read this with a southern accent. It makes it more enjoyable). I told her I was 23 years old. She looked at me shocked and said, "oh my goodness, I don't believe it! You look like a li-tle gerl, you can't be grown." I assured her that I was in fact being honest about my age, chuckled and left. This is always happening to me. I know I know ONE day I will be grateful. But for now I rather dislike being thought of as some adolescent little girl. It's quite frustrating. I have learned to get over being insulted and just laugh. It is funny, since the whole trip we had been discussing how I look much younger then my age and there you have it. Proof. The group got a good laugh at it.

SEGMENT SEVEN: The Distasteful Departure

The plane ride home was... well even worse then the way there. We were supposed to have a direct flight, but instead they decided that we needed to stop in Denver... again. Disappointment. The first flight had the worst turbulence I have ever experienced. The plane was bouncing all over the place. There was maybe 10 minutes of smooth sailing the entire 3 hours. Abe was sitting next to me and does not handle flying well so you can imagine the kind of shape he was in on the flight. His legs were shaking uncontrollably from his anxiety. In response he ordered a whole lot of alcohol. If you don't know, I have a very very very strong sense of smell. The smell of his beer, which was disgusting, combined with the turbulence made me incredibly sick. I have not thrown up since I was 10 and I was pretty close to doing so. When we got off the plane my face was flushed white and I felt so dizzy and disoriented. I think I am safe to say this was the WORST plane ride I have ever experienced. I used to think it was so ridiculous when people complained about flying, I guess I ate my words on that one. To look on the bright side they did serve us warm cookies.. Not sure if that really makes up for it?

All in all a really great experience for me and my fellow students. We had a great time in St Louis. It is good to be home, but now I have to find the motivation to make the push for the end of my last semester here at Utah State. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like a blast! And from what I can see, your prints look awesome, post your portfolio sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun Medu!!! You are so talented. I'm glad you got to come out to my part of the country. I wish I could have come to see you. You were oh so close! I'm sorry about the flight. One time when I was like 11, a drunk guy sitting next to us on our flight to mexico cut out eye holes in a napkin and was making faces at me. It was disturbing. I hate alcohol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that trip sounds so fun! i love that last story about you being a lil girl :) I could totally picture the accent, nicely done! way to be brave and present your work! i'm just so proud :)

    ReplyDelete