Friday, March 4, 2011

Developing my muchness

Just a heads up. This post is long, and some of you will not be interested in the slightest. I will rant, I will probably offend some, but I have to get it out and speak my mind...... again.

So yesterday was a GOOD day. It didn't really start out that way, but I am happy to say that It was one of the best days I have had in a while. There were a lot of things that could have made this a terrible no good day, but I made the best of it all.

I have been having a lot of late nights in the printmaking studio, and working hard to apply for an internship at Anderson Ranch in Colorado this summer and the Print conference on the 16th in St Louis. I am also doing an internship with Utah State doing design work for different departments. I don't get payed for that, so I work 20 hours a week at the Library as a student supervisor. Not to mention I am graduating this semester with a double major. So needless to say I have been Bu-sy. Maybe all of this stress and pressure has made me extra flippant, and testy? Who knows. I feel like I am handling it pretty well thank you.

I stayed up until 4:30 or 5 working on fine tuning my portfolio pieces to present to my class on Thursday. I worked pretty hard to improve things in my portfolio for this presentation. I was working on the items and sent them to print. For some reason the black wasn't printing. I pulled out the ink I had bought to replace it and it was light magenta instead of the normal kind magenta... Woops. (I guess magenta plays a big part in the black... interesting) I was in a panic. Luckily my class wasn't until 12 the next day so I knew I could get up early and do it. I tried to get most of it ready to go before I went to bed, but by 4:30, I was about to die so I decided to sleep. Of course it took me almost an hour to actually fall asleep. I woke up at 8, reluctantly I might add. Luckily Steve has figured out effective ways of forcing me out of bed, despite my anger and frustration in the mornings. We went and bought the ink and I came back and finished up with my work. Of course I pushed it all until the last moment, making changes and trying to get everything to look its best. We had to book it out the door to catch the bus. Poor Steve.

So I get to class. BFA was first. This is the class where we plan our end of the year, graduation portfolio show. I got there 2 or so minutes late and a group was up presenting a website they are making for the show.  I'll be honest, websites are cool but do we seriously need to create a website for this thing? In my opinion, NO. When they asked for comments I simply said, "I just don't think you should spend too much time on this thing, It seems like kind of a waste of your time. I mean who is even going to go to this site?" I felt like this was a valid comment. I wasn't trying to be offensive or anything, just giving my opinion on the matter. I had talked to several others in the class that felt the same way. The guy then proceeded to say, "well if you are planning an event you're going to look like an idiot if you don't have a website." BULL CRAP. No one just creates a random website for an art show. Come on. People will advertise events on already existing websites (that people actually visit) but this is just not needed in my opinion. What are they even going to put on this website? Let's be honest, the majority of the guests are going to be our parents anyway. Sometimes I hate design students. I really wasn't trying to create some uproar, but people were mad.

So our group got up to present our plans for the set up and decoration stuff. While I am talking about lighting this smart A up front says, "what a waste of time," just to mock me. I called him a douche bag right to his face. oops, it just came out. I'm up here talking about the most important part of the show, the actual displaying of our work and this idiot has to chime in with this comment to make himself feel cool. Of course everyone in the class laughs. I am always getting flack like this because I am the only person who ever speaks up for themselves and expresses independent thought. Most people just sit back too wussy to comment or tell what they think. It's really annoying actually. A minute late another person decides it will be funny to say it again... at this point I was ticked and spoke up. "Why don't those of you who I have talked to, who also think this web thing is a waste actually speak up instead of sitting back safely in your "i'm a wimp with no guts to express my own opinion seat" so I don't take the flack for everyone here. Seriously people tick me off. No wonder no one ever has the guts to stick up for themselves and promote their opinions. I get more flack then anyone in this class and I deal with it. The first week of class my teacher made a pretty awful, rude joke about me and I have taken joke after joke continually throughout the semester about it, and deal with it, usually with a smile, even though I am a person and yes I have feelings too. Whatever, crack your jokes and sit back in the dark in your little posse and pretend like you actually have a brain.

So I was called on to present my portfolio very last. I got up and presented and felt pretty good about it. Afterwords, my professor (who I have had endless battles with. I never know if he hates me or actually likes me?) payed me a huge compliment and told me my portfolio looked really great. If only you knew this man, you would know what a huge compliment that is. It seriously made my day! I was floating for the next couple of hours. Hard work always pays off.  Ill post a pdf of my portfolio soon :)



This post is not intended to offend anyone. And besides, if you are one of the offended it probably means you need to man up and actually speak your mind and participate in class. If your going into graphic design, learn to take it. It will make you stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment